Tuesday, May 19, 2009

It's Tough to be Five


What a day. Love that I can just sit down and write about a day I won't soon forget. It starts yesterday morning when Lonnie found a tick on the back on Aubrey's head. Eww..gross! We think she got it when she went on a wildflower picking field trip with her preschool class on Friday. She said her head was sore from hitting her head on the monkey bars so I was careful not to brush that part of her head for the weekend. So yesterday morning Lonnie got the tweezers and took out the tick. She was very brave and didn't cry too much. I called the doctor to see if there was anything we should do and that we weren't sure we got it all. So, I took her to the doctor this morning. That is where the fun began...

After taking a look at it Dr. J determined that there was a tiny bit of it left and we should get it out. After 15 minutes of Aubrey crying and not holding still and repeatedly telling me she wanted to go home we decided we would have to give her a shot in the back of her head to numb the area. You can imagine how hard she cried when that happened. After that she was able to eat her orange sucker on my lap (and drip down my white top) while they got the little piece out. So we are getting ready to go and get to look under a microscope at the tick that was on the patient before us. We were both very fascinated by it. I then ask if they could make a copy of her shot chart for school. No problem except for the fact that she needed just one more shot before going to school. They said they could do it now if I would like. So back in the room for one more shot, one more round of tears, and a tweety bandaid. And finally, an hour and half later I met up with Jessica and then headed back to work.

Thanks for reading...if you made it this far. I know it is a long story but now you see why she had a pretty tough first full day of being five.

7 comments:

Heather said...

Whew! You are right....it sounds like being 5 is pretty tough....I wonder what 6 will bring!

Sharon said...

Geez... Poor Aubrey! Now that she got that out of the way, the rest of being 5 will be smooth sailing!!

papa pat said...

What a day, it can only go up from here. I would cry too if I had to get two shots in one day. How brave of our big five year old.

Michelle said...

Definitely not a fun way to start out being 5. Hopefully the rest of the year is not as eventful, but who knows with Aubrey.

Lisa said...

What a brave 5 year old but a bummer of a day. Hope today is better.

Jessica said...

Today will be a much better day!:o)

Christina said...

Wow - not exactly the way anyone wants to start out their year. Good thing she is such a trooper! ;)